In the event safety of premises is threaten, people would call for security solutions and money is no longer consider an option, however, the cost. That is the primary reason as to why a business owner should plan and consider an integrated system as an utmost solution by connecting the police and security services providers as early in the day to ensure that the premises are fully secured from any security problems in the first place.
Hence, early prevention is much more efficient compared to remedying actual security breaches that had occurred to any businesses. Early detection and then securing the business premises against crime prevention will undoubtedly reduce theft activities, prevent loss and minimise break-ins. Supposedly that there is a recent crime in your area, or you may have already been targeted and want to secure your business or home, then logically improvement of your security issues and protecting all areas of your business is inevitable.
Office workplace and business premises
Thefts, robberies or burglaries can happen at the business premises that could be committed either by the employees themselves or outsiders. They would steal and vandalise the company’s assets and valuables that will cost huge losses to the company. The workplace will be the main target for internal or external intruders where they will rob, seized even hacked any of your company valuable assets and goods such as information data, computers, inventory items, equipment, hardware and software etc. It is difficult to detect employees as threats since they have knowledge and information on company valuable assets and office layouts, not to mention they could even have authorized access to these sensitive places easily. Those who have ulterior motives and agendas would misconduct themselves and commit crimes.
Besides theft and robberies, natural disasters and man-made disasters are also threats to workplaces and they are categorized as external risks. Natural disaster and man-made disaster are hard to predict but both can be prevented. Natural disasters occur by uncontrollable natural forces such as wildfires, flood, earthquake, tsunami, hurricane or droughts. While man-made disaster tragedies caused by human carelessness and human error while mishandling dangerous equipment that cost many lives. Commonly, man-made tragedy examples are transportation accidents, terrorism, riots, war and environmental accidents such as factory or fire explosions, chemical or oil spills, gas leaks, etc.
In the long run, poor security controls in companies could harm your business, incur costlier security solutions, losing more customers and exposed to legal liability risks. These are few simple ways to ensure business safety and they are as follows;
- Install more proper lighting, CCTV cameras, intruder alarm system, locks on doors or windows and using access cards for entry to specific floors in the building.
- Ensure locks on computer and cabinets that contain valuable documents. Secure lock on cabinets for some documented materials that contain proprietary valuable information and hard copies as backup storage file from online.
- Organize office space layout precisely so that employees can recognize unauthorized visitors or guests even from a distance.
- Train employees to be alert with intruders and overcome those crime threats.
- Hire professional security guards to monitor areas regularly especially at secluded, isolated and valuable assets location.
- Advise employees to be aware whilst working alone especially at late nights or after working hours.
- Visitors must obtain permission pass from the security officers and show ID cards always to access the building. Security officers need to escort and re-check whether the visitors had made an official appointment with the employees or business.
Most occupants in residential areas need home security to ensure the safety of their families and community. The advantage of installing a security alarm system at home and neighbourhood will be alert and respond to emergency time faster. The system will automatically contact the police or local authorities, reduces the human error and add up more layer of security than relying on neighbourhood watch alone. The loud alarm system sound can prevent intruders to linger around the house and frighten them when entering the premises. The security system can monitor the house for an interval of 24 hours when the occupants are away from their homes. These are a few simple ways to ensure residential safety:
- Install high rise fencing at residential neighbourhood areas.
- Be acquainted with neighbours, and be aware of someone who looks suspicious and then to lodge a report to the authorities if necessary.
- The landscape features comprise of greeneries, bushes and trees that would be the best spots for criminals to climb up to enter in or out the premises and to hide away. It is advisable to whittle down the trees and bushes so that they are visible to look out for any intruders
- Enhance more lights and maintain the lighting system on neighbourhood streets especially in dark places. Motion lighting is affordable equipment that can help to light up the area and save electrical energy simultaneously.
- Residential community patrols help to increase higher security levels since they can regularly focus on checking the community area rather than depending on police. Security guards tour around the perimeters, checking occupants’ availability at their homes and to block vehicles at entrance gates of residential areas to check upon visitors or intruders.
Factory or Manufacturing Plant
Losing profits over delayed or disrupt production activities as scheduled are machinery or manufacture plant concerned the most. The plant needs security controls not only for safety concerns guarding the company assets or machines but also to monitor employees’ safety and their well-being. Accidents are common in factories and by installing cameras any incidents happened within the premises will be recorded 24 hours. On top of that, the company are able to identify any injured workers and at the same time, they could save insurance cost. Nonetheless, having a security system in a factory is to monitor production performance, less losing financial and avoid system hackers on data loss. These are a few simple ways to ensure factory or manufacturing plant safety:
- Take preventive security measures and identify dangerous or hazardous levels in the plant.
- Establish physical security by restricting access to the production plant area.
- Installing extensive alarms, CCTV surveillance and locks on the production control room.
- Any staff or visitors need to show access card, ID or made an appointment only has the grant permission to enter the factory.
- Establish a strong foundation of policies and security organization. For example, the employees were not allowed to use computers, data storage or mobile phones while working and entering the production plant.
Hotels and resorts should have high consideration and expectation of their security management protocols in order to deliver the best experience to their guests and ensure safety and well-being at all times during their stay. The hotels or resorts could lose their reputations and customer confidence if any incident related to criminal or violent acts happened within the premises. Security measures and surveillance should be implemented in order to prevent guests from risks and exposed threats due to thefts, robberies, bomb threats, drunken guests, terrorists, fire emergencies, in-house hotel guest deaths, emergency accidents and drugs traffickers. Negative reviews on social media and internet websites of their premises can tarnish the business credibility and that is why hotel security need to be prioritized. These are a few simple ways to ensure hotels safety:
- Room access card keys should be constantly updated and should be given one access card for one room guest. From here, the security is able to track the number of guests in the room and they are able to save electricity bill. Proper security is able to track and prevent burglary or theft from entering the room. Monitor security access after-hours. The security professionals should conduct guard tours around the hotel, lobby and entrances. This will ensure protection safety for guests against criminals or misbehaved activities.
- Monitor surveillance CCTVs which are installed to check the loading areas, restaurants, lobbies, swimming pool, gym, wedding ballroom, etc.
- Every hotel employees must wear name tags and company uniforms which allowed themselves to differentiate between hotel staff and guests.
- Hotels should able to response the emergency immediately by providing employees training. These Emergency response plans need to remind annually on evacuation and emergency responses because accidents and natural disaster can happen anytime nowadays. The staff can take initiative action to overcome such crises.
Retail Shopping Malls
Shopping malls can be a challenge for a security and administration team to manage especially on holidays, weekends and shopping events. These are common incidents that could damage the premises reputation, even endanger the safety of the tenant as well as the shoppers.
- The act of vandalism at shopping malls building such spraying chemicals on facilities or damaging the store assets. Graffiti is the most common vandalism activities, followed by littering, breaking the windows, damaging the lights and bending the signage, etc. The vandalism happened without realizing and it is difficult to detect them.
- Pickpockets or shoplifters can linger anywhere in the mall whilst remain unnoticed in the crowd when they steal people’s money or valuable belongings.
- Riots during the big sales days, where the store traffic is high and that could cause arguments or quarrels between customers which might lead to the act of violence.
- Lost children who are separated from their families when they have wandered far away from their parents along with the crowd. The security job is to ensure that the child will return to their parents safely. Security professional will immediately search for the lost child, once the parents reported them. The CCTV camera might come in handy which able to record and find the lost child. During school break or festive season, has the most frequent case reported on missing child in the shopping centres.
- There are also cases of car theft break-ins either to steal people’s personal belonging or steal the car itself. The thief can smash the windows or doors and snatch people’s valuables such as wallets, electronic gadgets, computer laptop, etc in less than a minute.
Nowadays, the issues have been progressed to organised crime, suicides, and now, threats of terrorism. Monitoring any suspicious perpetrators with explosive or other devices is a tough job for security personnel. Therefore, maintaining a pleasant shopping experience for their shoppers, ensure crowd control, identify suspicious behaviours and quickly defuse possible incidents must be among the priorities of your shopping mall’s security program. These are a few simple ways to ensure safety at retail shopping malls;
Employ more professional security guards to patrol every part of the places even at shady locations. Security guards must be equipped with GPS tracking devices in their mobile phones so that the security system is able to monitor and acts as a tool of communication in cases of emergency.
Fire accidents could occur in the malls and it might take people’s life, loss of valuable retail goods and it might also lead to crowd stampede. It is important to have fire watch security during this panic situation and properly equipped on fire safety like fire extinguishers.
Increase installing 24-hour surveillance cameras and security alarms system.
At Atalian Global Services, we offer integrated security solutions to cover every area of industries, businesses or homes. We ensure our clients are able to have all protection needed for their premises such as video surveillance, access controls, intrusion alarms and manned guard services, 24 hrs support and more. For more information, please do not hesitate to contact us today and our expert will be delighted to consult you at no cost.